If you’re dealing with a serious spine or brain issue, you’re going to want to find a great specialist you can take care of your problem. That’s easier said than done, though, because most people don’t know where to turn when it comes to finding the right neurosurgeon for you issue. Odds are a google search will return some doctors in your area, but how do you know if they’ll be a good fit for you? You can begin by looking for these five qualities.
Qualities of a Great Neurosurgeon
Here’s a look at five qualities you should look for in a neurosurgeon, and why they are so important.
1. Knowledgeable – Obviously you want a neurosurgeon who is experienced and who understands the complexities of your spinal or brain condition. Aside from looking into their background and credentials, look for a surgeon who can explain what might be going on in your body when you first meet with them. A good surgeon waits for imaging tests to confirm a diagnosis, but a great neurosurgeon begins thinking about the potential problem the moment the patient walks in the door or starts describing their symptoms.
2. Understanding – It is also imperative to find a neurosurgeon who understands your issue and who takes your complaints seriously. You want a doctor who listens to your story and takes time to process your concerns and makes you feel like a priority. A good neurosurgeon will make an effort to understand everything the patient is experiencing.
3. Empathy – You’ll also want to find a neurosurgeon who can empathize with your condition. Sometimes a doctor will only view a patient as a list of symptoms and a problem, but you want a neurosurgeon who can empathize with what you’re feeling. By finding an empathetic neurosurgeon, you’ll ensure that your all your physical, mental and emotional issues will be taken care of throughout the treatment process.
4. Listens – No doctor can give the patient the best care in the world if they do not listen to what the patient has to say. An MRI or a CT scan can help explain what’s going on in the body, but only the patient can explain how that condition is affecting their everyday life. Also, by listening, a neurosurgeon ensures that their treatment plan is in line with the patient’s goals.
5. Communicates Clearly – Finally, you want a doctor who can communicate clearly and effectively. You are probably going to have plenty of questions, and it will put your mind at ease if your neurosurgeon can easily and clearly answer every question and explain your options. A great neurosurgeon will explain your condition, what it’s doing to your body, how it can be treated, what they recommend for treatment, how the operation about be performed, what risks are involved and what post-surgery life will look like.