Spine surgery is the first step in the right direction in terms of reducing pain and improving your physical function, but those rewards don’t happen as soon as the last suture is closed. It’s going to take some time, patience and hard work on your end during the recovery stage, and that doesn’t always come easy. However, if you keep a few tips in mind during your rehab, you can make life a little easier on yourself. In today’s blog, we share some tips for making life a little easier on yourself while you’re recovering from spine surgery.
Tips For Recovering From Spine Surgery
The following tips can help you in a number of ways. From helping you heal faster to preventing complications, here’s a look at some things you should consider if you want to make life a little easier on yourself after spine surgery.
1. Listen To Your Treating Surgeon – While we think we’re providing helpful advice on this blog, it will never trump the individualized advice you’ll get from your treating physician. We can only talk in general terms, but they’ll be able to give you specific advice tailored to your operation and recovery. Heed their advice, because doctor really does know best.
2. Follow Through On Physical Therapy – If you underwent a procedure, odds are physical therapy will be part of your rehab program. Make sure you attend all sessions and complete your homed-based exercise routines as expected. It may be a little uncomfortable when you first begin, but PT is what will drive home your physical improvement after surgery. The more work you put in during this crucial time, the higher the likelihood you’ll experience improved physical function once rehab is complete.
3. Prep Before Surgery – Start planning for life after surgery before you go under the knife. That means doing things around the house, like doing the laundry, prepping some healthy meals and arranging rides to and from medical appointments. It will be a lot easier to recover if you do a little prep and planning prior to your procedure.
4. Pre-Hab – Studies have shown that undertaking some light rehabilitation exercise prior to your procedure can actually help drive successful recovery outcomes after surgery. Pre-hab exercises can help improve physical function, help you lose some weight and get you in the habit of following through with a rehab program, all of which can make life easier following a procedure.
5. Assistive Objects And Items – Before your procedure, consider investing in some household products that will make life a little easier once you’re on the mend from spine surgery. Talk to your doctor about medical devices that could be helpful, like a grapper or toilet seat raiser. Also consider personal items that might prove beneficial, like an extra long charging cord for your phone or some crossword booklets. Buy them beforehand so you have them when you need them.
If you can do these five things, and you choose a skilled spine surgeon like Dr. Chang for your procedure, we’re confident that you will have an easier recovery than most after your procedure. For more information, or to talk to a team member, give our office a call today at (651) 430-3800.